DeSmet Public School transforms lives through teaching, inspiring, and nurturing.
DeSmet Public School families and community nurture the social, emotional, physical, and academic development of each child. We honor diversity and inspire students to become resilient, life-long learners, and caring stewards of our ever-changing world.
Our school was named after a great explorer; one of the first early explorers to arrive in Ravalli County. His name was Father Pierre DeSmet. Father DeSmet arrived here in 1840 from St. Louis, Missouri. He established the first farm in the Ravalli area. It is upon Father DeSmet’s dedication, loyalty, his quest for knowledge and striving for success, that the foundation of our school is based.
DeSmet School first started out like many schools of its era, as a one room classroom. As the community grew, so did DeSmet’s class sizes, and soon developed the need for expansion. A family that was longtime members of the community, donated some land to the school district. The DeSmet School we now know was built on Padre Lane.